Swing Bed Program
Close to Home
Sometimes you need just a little more time to recover. Cogdell Memorial Hospital Swing Bed program offers the transitional care many patients need.
After a surgery or hospitalization, patients sometimes transfer into a nursing or rehab facility to help them improve their physical functioning. At Cogdell, we can “swing” you from post-operative and acute care into skilled-nursing which includes physical rehabilitation and monitoring of your improvement. Your recovery continues without the need to transfer to another facility.
Even if your stay was at another hospital you can receive Swing Bed Rehabilitative Care here at Cogdell Memorial Hospital, near your family.
Who will benefit from Swing-Bed Therapy
- Patients who need rehabilitation after orthopedic surgery, such as joint replacement
- Patients recovering from a stroke
- Patients receiving IV therapy or wound care
- Patients needing to regain strength and mobility after an illness or injury
What types of services will I receive?
The services you receive will be tailored to meet your specific rehabilitative goals. Depending on your goals and needs, different therapies will be provided:
- Therapies available:
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Wound Care
- IV Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Pain Management
How long will I stay?
During your stay, your care team will work with you on a plan that allows for the best opportunity for success wherever you call home. Each patient is different therefore each patient’s stay is designed to meet their specific needs.
The average length of stay is between 1-2 weeks. Some commercial insurance companies only offer “swing bed” services for a limited time.
Space and bed limitations will affect the number and type of swing beds available at any time.
Once you have reached your goals, you may return home or explore additional care options. Your case manager will assist in finding the best option to make the transition as smooth as possible.
How is it paid for?
Medicare covers swing bed services as long as the patient qualifies for a skilled level of care: up to 20 days in full and up to 100 days with co-payments. Medicare supplements will usually pay the deductible as long as Medicare continues coverage. Your individual stay will depend on how long you meet the criteria.
In order to qualify for Swing Bed Services a patient must meet the following requirements:
- Covered by Medicare Part A or other insurance with hospital based, “skilled-care benefits” and days available for skilled level of care
- Have had 3 consecutive mid-nights in an acute care (hospital inpatient) bed in the last 30 days. Your skilled care stay must be related to your hospital stay
- Have an ongoing diagnosis and needs that require skilled care as defined by Medicare
- Have a physician order stating a need for daily skilled care
- Be willing to participate in the daily skilled care program
Cogdell Swing-Bed Rehabilitation
1700 Cogdell Blvd. Snyder, Texas 79549